For postdoc candidates:
If you are:
– experienced in evolutionary and population genomics / transcriptomics,
– experienced in systems biology of ageing,
– have strong computational skills,
please contact Mehmet, with your CV, a detailed research statement, and contact info for recommendation letters.
If you are:
– interested in ancient DNA and population genomics,
– have strong wet-lab skills,
you may consider joining the METU Ancient DNA Team. Please send an email to Inci Togan, Fusun Ozer, and Mehmet, with your CV, a detailed research statement, and contact info for recommendation letters.
For candidate graduate students:
If you are:
– interested in evolutionary and population genomics / transcriptomics,
– interested in systems biology of ageing,
– familiar with R or python (or similar programming languages),
please contact Mehmet, with your CV, a one-paragraph research statement and contact info for recommendation letters.
If you feel you are talented in wet-lab work and enjoy pipetting as much as population genetics,you may consider joining the METU Ancient DNA Team. Please send an email to Inci Togan, Fusun Ozer, and Mehmet, with your CV, a one-paragraph research statement, and contact info for recommendation letters.
Please make sure you have read some of the group’s papers in advance, before applying. Please also check our expectations from graduate students, below.
Expectations from graduate students:
1- Our group members are well-aware of the adverse effects of brain drain on science and society in the underdeveloped world, including Turkey. Thus, in the long run, each of us aim to do science, and contribute to scientific and social development in these regions, whatever the difficulties. If you do not share this perspective, we would kindly discourage applying to the group.
2- Within their first two years, graduate students are expected to gain firm skills in R and python, and a strong background in either (a) evolutionary genetics and population genetics, (b) comparative genome and transcriptome analyses, or (c) systems biology of ageing. This will be achieved by following METU courses, participating in summer schools, rigorous review of literature, presenting papers.
3- All MSc / PhD students are expected to finish their theses within 2 /4 years, present their results in at least 1 / 2 scientific meeting, publish at least one first author research paper before they finish, and contribute to science outreach activities.
4- For MSc candidates, if you plan to remain with us for an extra year (3 in total) will be a plus (of course, if conditions allow).
For summer practice and special project students:
The applications should follow the same steps as described for graduate students. Students should indicate their topic of interest: evolutionary genomics, comparative transcriptomics, population genetics, ancient DNA, or systems biology of ageing. No recommendation letters are requested from METU students.
Before starting, the students are expected:
– to have read minimum five of the groups’ major publications (http://bio.metu.edu.tr/pp?un=msomel),
– to have read at least 5 recent reviews on the subject,
– to have gained familiarity with R or python.
We further expect students:
– to work with us for a minimum of 2 months (summer practice) or the full semester (special project),
– to take part in all lab meetings and journal clubs during their work,
– to prepare and present a report at the end of the work.